A small investment can have big pay-offs for your career.
Short-term training includes classes or programs that last anywhere between one day and two years. It can help you qualify for a job, get a promotion, or earn more money.
Short-term training programs change often, as employers look for new skills and credentials. Short-term training choices include seminars, workshops, continuing education, personal enrichment courses, non-credit courses, and college diploma and certificate programs. Explore different options to find training that fits your needs.
Are you eligible for training assistance?
You may qualify for training assistance, including help paying for college programs, through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). To find out if you qualify, visit your closest American Job Center.
If you know you qualify for WIOA assistance, see a list of eligible local training providers by selecting your state on this map of WIOA Eligible Training Providers.
Free and low-cost training
Many websites and community sources offer free or low-cost training. Options range from brushing up on basic skills such as English, math, or computers, to mastering specialized skills such as software programs.
Look for free and low-cost training options:
- Search online for free training using “How to” and the name of a skill you want to learn, or get started at SkilledUp to browse hundreds of online options.
Khan Academy offers free online learning in school subjects at levels from junior high through college.
Coursera and Academic Earth both offer free online college classes through video lecture, quizzes, and readings.
Find a local library to ask what training or workshops they offer.
- Contact your local school district or community organization to see what training is available to the public.
Many community and technical college programs can lead to a certificate award in less than two years. A certificate shows an employer that you have completed training and passed any required tests, and can give you an edge in the job market.
Look for short-term training programs near you at Local Training Finder. Get started with these simple steps:
- Enter a keyword for the type of job or training you’re looking for.
- Enter your location to view a list of programs near you.
- To see how long it usually takes to finish a certificate program, use the “Program Length” filter on the left side of your results.
Visit Pay for school to learn about financial aid options.